Home » Latest News » Year 9 Adventure Camp

Year 9 Adventure Camp

Picture: Year 9 Camp - Canoeing
Picture: Year 9 Camp - Canoeing

In the middle of November, year nine students went on the second Adventure Camp to Mt. Buffalo. Most people were really looking forward to it because former students had reported it as being the best camp they ever went on – so it had a lot to live up to! Students got to participate in activities they thought they’d never do in their lives! Some were scary, others required strength, stamina or patience. The Adventure Camp tested our belief in ourselves, our peers and instructors and helped us to overcome fears and complete challenging activities.
Adventure camp was GREAT! The activities and people there made it very enjoyable. There were a range of activities including: rock climbing, canoeing, underwater caving, abseiling and two separate environmental walks. They all were very fun to do, but abseiling pushed me a bit further than the others. It was a bit daunting looking over the high cliffs, but once you started to go down, it was exciting. The views were so amazing, and for many people it was a once in a lifetime experience. If I had the opportunity to do the camp again I would for sure! Ruby Gardner Russell
Canoeing was one of the highlights of the camp. It was a great experience for many people to try something new. We canoed around Lake Catani with some hazards along the way, for some getting stuck in the reeds and for others getting wet. It was a excellent way to get to know people that we had not interacted with before. We learned some survival tactics including forming a raft and some of us enjoyed fishing whilst canoeing. It was a really fun experience. Bedelia Flanagan
One of the activities we did on camp, was to go on an environmental walk. Although it didn’t sound as exciting as some of the other activities, most people said that it was very enjoyable. Most of the groups went for a walk up to The Hump, where there was a very good view of Mount Buffalo and the areas around it. It was one of the things I liked the most about camp and overall it was a great experience. Tamara Russo

Pictures: Year 9 Camp - Abseiling
Pictures: Year 9 Camp - Abseiling

I was part of the second group that went on camp. I think my favourite activity was the underwater caving. It was the only activity I was determined to do. Of course I was nervous. Once we were down under the rock formations, it was clear that this was not going to be easy. The group had to crawl under large boulders, up waterfalls and contort their bodies to fit through the cracks to reach our destination. I think for me the thrill from the danger made it exhilarating, followed by the sense of accomplishment. We felt once finished, made it for me, by far the best. The camp overall was a great experience and I would love to do it again. Eliza Pittaway

The Adventure Camp was an awesome experience. On our second night I chose to go on the Horn walk which was amazing! We walked for about fifteen minutes up to the horn where we stayed for forty-five minutes and watched the sun set over the mountain with a 360 degree view over the surrounding mountains and ovens valley. The walk down was interesting as hundreds of Bogong Moths came out to feast on little insects and a few of us ate them raw which was a very unique experience. The Horn walk was definitely one of my favourite activities on the camp and one I will remember for a very long time! Annie Brien
We would like to sincerely thank all the students and staff who attended the 2011 Year 9 Adventure Camp, and who made it such a success. In particular, we would like to thank Mr Keith Willett for all his organisation leading up to the camp.