Dear Parents and Guardians,
Welcome to second semester! And a particular welcome to new students and their families.
For most students, there will be changes of subjects, changes of timetables and even changes of teachers. For students in the Junior and Middle Schools this will be in the form of new electives; for Year 9s it will also include a change either into or out of the Discovery Program; for VCE and VCAL students the changes will take them into the next units of their chosen pathways.
Our condolences go to two staff members who suffered the loss of family members over the holidays. To Mrs Bernadette Albertson, we offer our sympathies on the sudden and unexpected loss of her father; to Mrs Annette Fletcher, we offer sympathies on the loss of her mother-in-law. Please keep the families of both staff members in your prayers.
We welcome the following new staff members:
• Mrs Bel Hovey who is replacing Mrs Leanne Carr while Leanne has this term on leave;
• Mr Renee Duursma, replacing Mr Jim Samon on long service leave for the start of this term.
And we welcome back from leave:
• Mr John McKenzie, Mrs Rachel Froude and Mr Peter Watson (long service leave);
• Mrs Kylie Girolami (maternity leave);
• Mr Peter Brien (sick leave)
Year 8 Camp #1
Half the Year 8 classes attended their annual camp at Anglesea last week under the direction of the Year 8 Co-ordinator, Ms Jess Clark. This is the first time the Year 8s have been to Anglesea for their camp and from the reports of the students it was a huge success. The reports from the teachers were also extremely positive, with plenty of praise for the attitude and behavior of the students. The second camp for the rest of the Year 8 classes will be in week 3.
Works over the holidays
There were several minor works programs undertaken over the term holidays as part of our commitment to continuous improvement.
• Concreting and some re-landscaping alongside the stadium;
• Drainage and regrading of the Park Lane carpark area;
• Various concrete and bitumen repairs in the main courtyard and beside the senior library;
• Installation of new water pipes from Phillipson Street through to the end of the junior Science labs.
• New shade-sails on the canteen umbrellas
Information Nights for 2014
There are two Information Nights coming up soon for 2014:
• VCE (2014) Information Night – Wednesday, July 24th
• Year 10 (2014) Information Night – Wednesday August 14th.
Staff Professional Development / Spirituality Day
Please note that as per the annual calendar, Monday August 12 will be a pupil-free day to allow for a full-day of professional development for all staff. The focus for the day will be around how Galen’s Catholic Identity is lived out and how it can be further enhanced.
Bernard Neal – Principal