Dear Parents and Guardians,
This is my final ‘From the Principal’ for 2014. Merry Christmas to all in the Galen Catholic College family! May the peace and blessings of Christmas be with you all.
VCE & VCAL results
The VCE and VCAL results for 2014 were released on Monday. We are very proud of the great results achieved across the board, especially those gained by students in both certificates who put in their best possible effort, regardless of individual scores.
I am very happy to announce that the Dux for Galen Catholic College for 2014 is Demi Shale who achieved an ATAR of 98.25, placing Demi in the top 2% of all students across the state of Victoria – an outstanding result! Demi will be taking a Gap year in Canada in 2015 then hopes to enter University of Melbourne with a focus on Maths and Physics.
Other relevant information I can share with you is:
• Galen had 9 students achieve an ATAR of 90 or above, 23 with 80 or above and 50 students with 70 or above;
• In individual subjects, 35 Galen students achieved study scores of 40 or above (out of a possible 50 in each subject) which places those students in the top 8% across the state in those subjects;
• 20 VCAL students have completed their Senior Certificate.
Principal’s return to work
I would like to thank Mr Gerard Sullivan for his work as Acting Principal during my long service leave for the first 8 weeks of 4th term. The bulk of my leave was spent walking the Camino Trail, an ancient 800 kilometre Christian pilgrim trail that dates back to medieval times – a physically challenging but immensely rewarding spiritual experience.
The following staff members will be leaving Galen at the end of this year. We thank them for their contribution to Galen and wish them well in their next ventures:
• Mr Paul Carson who has taken up a position at Cathedral College Wangaratta
• Miss Jacqui Pengelly who is pursuing further study
• Mrs Bernadette Albertson who is taking leave for 2015 to commence an International Teaching Fellowship Exchange at Memorial Composite High School in Canada
• Ms Lauren Wilson who is returning to Melbourne to take up a position at Sydenham Catholic College;
• Ms Carly Bilke who will be assuming the role of Head of Senior School at Kamilda College in Darwin;
• Ms Marlene Kittel who will be relocating to Robe in South Australia to take up a new commercial venture;
• Ms Rebecca Hernandez who will be relocating to a school in Katherine in the Northern Territory for 2015;
• Ms Margaret Cunningham who will be taking long service leave for the first semester;
• Ms Michela Screpante. who will be returning to Italy after a year at Galen as Language Assistant;
• Our four Junior School Officers: Tess Rowland, Isaac Smith, Jonathon Panozzo and Cody Schutt who have completed their Gap year at Galen;
• Mr Sean O’Neill who will be attending university next year after four years as an IT technician at Galen;
• Ms Chiara Benedetti who will also be heading off to further study after serving as receptionist for the past 8 months;
• Mr Matt Henderson whose contract with Galen expired at the end of this year.