Dear Parents & Guardians,
Well, what a real pleasure it was to see and hear the students return to school on Wednesday this week! So many bright faces, so many young minds ready to learn!
We welcomed our 200 new Year 7 students at an assembly this morning, and will do so again more formally at our Opening Mass on February 22. We also welcomed new students in other year levels, as well as welcoming back all our returning students.
Brand new Senior School
And what a joy to welcome the Years 11 & 12 students into their brand new Senior School buildings! Our building works were completed on time by Landmark Construction Group under the direction of our architect, Ken Woodman, of No. 42 Architects.
Staff and students alike are discovering the many and varied characteristics of the new buildings: the overwhelming response from the students was just how good the new facilities are. We have some minor landscaping to finish off but the whole centre is now up and running!
We are planning an “Open Afternoon” for parents who might like a tour of the new facilities. This will dovetail with the Open Afternoon for Year 7 parents which is the next item … Further details will be sent to parents over the next few days.
Open Afternoon for Parents of Year 7 students
Galen will host an Open Afternoon on Wednesday, February 22nd, for the parents of Year 7 students. This will provide an opportunity for parents to come and see your child’s homeroom and teachers.
As mentioned above, this will also include an opportunity for guided tours of the new Senior School for parents children in all year levels.
The Parents Association will be hosting a BBQ on the new Junior School decking straight after the Open Afternoon. All parents are invited to attend this BBQ
Parents Association meeting: all welcome
The Galen PA will hold its first meeting for the year on Monday 6 February from 6:30 until 8:00pm in the main staff room. Entry is either directly from grounds or via the front office.
We welcomed the following new staff to Galen this year.
- Chloe Hancock – working in the Learning Support Centre
- Gemma Enever– working in the Learning Support Centre
- Aidan Dummler– working in the Learning Support Centre
- Will Nolan– working in the Learning Support Centre
- Jesse Gardner-Russell – working on the IT support team
New support staff:
- Mardi Mogford – front office and accounts
- Peter O’Donohue – Learning Support Centre
New teaching staff:
- Jonas Anderberg – Maths / Science
- Liz Carroll – Learning Support Leader
- Ray Gallagher – Science
- Daniel Green – Maths / Science
- Kim McLeod – Food Technolnogy / VET Hospitality
- Justin Perkins – Outdoor Education
- Samuel Price – Maths / Science
- Annette Walker – Indonesian
Staff returning from maternity leave
- Kate Angikiamo (nee Howard)
- Skye Hunter
- Ren White (nee Seymour)
Staff returning from extended leave:
- Franco Cudini
- Allison Evans
- Edwin Evans
- Rebecca Hernandez
I pray that the start of the year is peaceful, productive and positive for you all.